Mass-Radius Relation of Neutron Stars
- After a successful test of Polytrope n = 1 case, now I can move further to the next level. We decided to use RNS code for considering a more complicated case, I downloaded and build it. It is written in C.
- I wanted to find a text “eosA” in the directory. So I used “grep -ir” command.
[user@server RNS_v2.0]$ grep -ir "eosA" ./
./main.c:* For example, a reasonable model would use the file eosA,
./main.c:kepler -f eosA -e 1e15
./sample.out:> kepler -f eos/eosA -e 1e15
./manual.tex:* For example, a reasonable model would use the file eosA,
./manual.tex:kepler -f eosA -e 1e15
- There are some references to understand the code, so I started to read one by one. The first paper I’m reading is Cook, Shapiro & Teukolsky 1994, ApJ 422, 227-242.
- I have looked a code and have done some test. The code seemed to run well, but results are scaled as dimensionless parameters. I need to convert to cgs units. Maybe this would be the hard things for me because I’m not good at unit conversion. It would be a great chance to learn it!
Astronomy & Astrophysics
- I have studied 20 English words using Anki. Now I think I can start solving GRE problems from now on.
- I have read the Nature Briefing article. There is an informative article for me whose first language is not English. It’s about how to write a paper effectively for international journals. I once submitted my paper to one of the international journals a few years ago, reviewers kept saying that ‘English should be improved.’ According to the article, the authors give some tips:
- Use modern tools for research: I’ve been using Papers for 5 years. But I only used it as a collection of papers and textbooks. So I need to learn more to use well.
- Learn from research articles in target journals: I haven’t done that before, maybe I should start right now. Target journals that I should learn from should be Astrophysical Journal (ApJ) and Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (MNRAS).
- Use electronic tools to improve word choice and sentence variety: I use Grammarly, but I think it’s not suitable for professional uses. I really should use Corpus of Contemporary American English.
- Seek feedback from supervisors and language teachers: Yes! I have many good professors at the University. I will ask them if I finish writing the paper.
- Nothing has been done. But I’ll have some time to study Physics at weekend.
- To use RNS code, I need to study C. I’m not familiar with C but I’ve learned it before. Luckily I have some textbooks for studying C, so I decided to use one of them and started reading.